Kuala Lumpur, 22 September 2022 – The 18th edition of the Malaysia International Halal Showcase (MIHAS) 2022, organized by the Malaysia External Trade Development Corporation (MATRADE), under the patronage of the Ministry of International Trade and Industry (MITI), once again delivered a record-breaking showcase, generating a total of RM2.36 billion in sales, surpassing its original target of RM1.9 billion.
Of the total, exhibitors’ sales recorded RM1.65 billion from the showcase, while RM714.7 million was generated from the International Sourcing Programme (INSP), comprising pre-arranged B2B meetings conducted physically and virtually in conjunction with MIHAS 2022. The top clusters with the highest total sales recorded were financial services, agricultural produce, prepared food, beverages as well as palm oil products.
INSP MIHAS, held in conjunction with MIHAS 2022, is organized in a hybrid approach. A total of 264 Malaysian exporters and 192 foreign buyers from 33 countries participated in the physical INSP while 226 Malaysian exporters and 197 foreign buyers from 48 countries participated in the virtual INSP. Five premium buyers from India, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Turkiye, and the USA were also brought in physically to meet with Malaysian exporters. A total sale amounting to RM714.70 million was recorded, comprising RM650.22 million from the physical INSP and RM64.48 million from the virtual INSP.
“Through MIHAS, MATRADE continues to fortify Malaysia as the heart of the global Halal hub. This year, MIHAS was indeed bigger and better thanks to our hybrid approach. Moving forward, we encourage the business community, especially micro, small and medium enterprises (MSME) to think regional or international even if they are newly established. Businesses must realize the vast opportunities available in the international halal market and make a move to capitalize on them. MATRADE is ready to assist Malaysian exporters to tap into the opportunities of the global Islamic economy, which is estimated to reach USD2.8 trillion by 2025,” said MATRADE CEO, YBhg. Datuk Mohd Mustafa Abdul Aziz.
Following the success of MIHAS 2022, MATRADE announced that next year’s edition of the world’s largest Halal showcase, MIHAS 2023, will be held from 12 to 15 September 2023 at the Malaysia International Trade and Exhibition Centre (MITEC). YBhg. Datuk Mohd Mustafa Abdul Aziz said that close to 400 booths had already been reserved by this year’s exhibitors.
MIHAS 2022 comprised four key components namely, the showcase, INSP, Knowledge Hub, and the MIHAS Awards.
The MIHAS 2022 showcase witnessed strong participation by industry players from 33 countries including Malaysia with an overall total of 1,258 booths occupied throughout the four-day exhibition from 7 to 10 September 2022. Of this total, Malaysian exhibitors occupied 1,049 (83.4%) total booths while the remaining 209 (16.6%) booths were by international exhibitors. Countries with large representation were Kuwait (33 booths), Indonesia (24 booths), Thailand (24 booths), South Africa (19 booths), and Palestine (14 booths).